Consciousness & happiness

Friday, August 04, 2006

Wondering what she was on

If you're reading this, you may well be a fan of Richard Linklater's Waking Life--not just a film about lucid dreaming, but a dream of a movie--filmed as live action, then kinda-sorta traced by a team of animators working on Macintosh computers. The result is not quite real but much more so than regular animation.

This afternoon I saw Linklater's adaption of Philip K. Dick's novel A Scanner Darkly, also rotoscoped, a wild ride into the future of mind-altering drugs (written 30 years ago when Dick was in the throes of his own drug mania). Do see it, it's a fabulous movie. Now I need to see it again to try to catch up on some of the double-double plot twists. Again, rotoscoping was perfect for this crazy half-real, half-hallucination tale.

So the lights go on and I see that besides me, the only folks left in the theater is a couple about my age. He's explaining the rotoscoping technique to her, how it's made as an actual (digital) movie before being animated. Long pause, then she says, "I didn't realize it was animated."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home