Consciousness & happiness

Monday, March 27, 2006

Camino de Santiago


Speaking of meditation, I've got to add that the best "retreat" I ever went on was walking 540 miles in 30 days across northern Spain in 2001: the Camino de Santiago. After the first two or three days of resistance (we're walking how far???), I got into the rhythm of the pilgrimage. For hours on end, all I was aware of was my footstep, the next rock on the road, the clump of grass by my side. A month-long walking meditation.


We arrived 27 days after we started at the traditional end of the Camino, the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela (below).


Where Louisa (whose 50th birthday we were celebrating) decided that real pilgrims continued on to the coast at Finisterre, another three days walk.


More photos here.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home